Fruit Tree Education
2018 Program Overview:
The Fruit Tree Education Series is a comprehensive 7-part series focused on organic fruit tree care. All classes are taught by knowledgeable arborists and local specialists. Participants can enroll in the full series or choose to register for individual classes.
WSU Master Gardeners are invited to take the full series with a practicum component to become Fruit Tree Specialists.
Registration costs $10 per person per class, or you can register for all 7 classes for $60.
- February 3, Basic Tree Biology and Planting; This class offers an overview of the series, and an introduction to fruit tree biology and care.
- February 10, Winter Pruning; How to properly prune trees during the winter for the best summer and autumn harvests.
- March 17, Grafting; Learn about various kinds of fruit trees, their needs, and which varieties can be grafted to others for single trees that produce multiple kinds of fruit. To register for Grafting Click here
- March 24, Pollinators; Pollination is crucial for getting a good fruit harvest. Learn about pollinator allies and how to promote them in your home orchard. To register for Pollinators Click here
- May 19, Pest & Disease Control; Pests and diseases are an inevitable part of gardening and tree care. Learn how to set up your fruit trees for success so they are healthy and protected, and how to revive diseased and pest-ridden trees. To register for Pest & Disease Control Click here
- June 9, Summer Pruning; Pruning in the summer requires a different approach than pruning other times during the year. It is especially important because the summer is when next year’s buds are formed. To register for Summer Pruning Click here
- September 8, Espalier; Learn about espalier, a term for a fruit tree whose branches are trained to grow flat against a wall, supported on a lattice or a framework of stakes.To register for Espalier Click here
Class Schedule & Location: All classes are held on Saturdays from 10:00am - 12:30pm. Classes will be held at The Farm at Franklin Pierce School District located at 9516 Waller Rd E, Tacoma, WA 98446.
Cost: $60/series or $10 per class
No one will be turned away due to lack of funds. Contact Aaron Gibson at AaronG@piercecd.org to request Scholarships and discuss work-trade arrangements.